Friday 2 August 2019

Should Adults Get Braces?


From time to time, I see a perfect set of teeth just out on the streets, and it makes me slightly wish that mine were also stark white and aligned to perfection. It also makes me think back to my childhood when I knew that my teeth weren’t as straight as they could be but I couldn’t get braces since they were expensive for my parents. And I understood why they made that choice, because I truly didn’t “need” them. If it wasn’t a necessity, we likely didn’t get stuff when younger (which I completely agree with now as an adult).


Still, I wonder about if I had gotten them. I’m almost positive that my teeth would be healthier because of the braces. It’s not all about the looks, you see. It’s about easier maintenance with the teeth too. Since some of my teeth slightly overlap (it’s not really noticeable at a glance though), it makes it harder to reach between those gaps with floss and a toothbrush. As such, the dental hygienist usually has to spend a little more time picking at the tartar between those teeth.

But here and now, I have to remind myself that it’s still possible to get braces, even if not the traditional kind, to help sort out my slightly jagged bottom row. I forget that it’s still an option and wonder if it’s for me.


The biggest reason I tell myself it’s not needed is because I’ve learned to manage without them all my life and keep my teeth in fairly good shape and because I don’t have the money for them. The second most important reason I don’t get braces is because I’m quite happy with my smile and having it perfected won’t change much in my life.

But for anyone out there wondering if they should get some, I encourage you to ask yourself if it’s a necessity: will the braces help your dental health more because of the change? Will your teeth looking better, whiter, and straighter help out your self confidence and self esteem? Will this enable you to eat more foods freely without worry of them getting stuck?


If you answered yes to any of the above, you should consider braces or the many alternatives. Dentists and orthodontists are just as willing to work with adults regarding braces as they are to work with kids. Just because you’ve passed the traditional age of getting braces doesn’t mean you aren’t eligible.

No comments:

Post a Comment